My Changing World *NEW!
This excursion complements the Primary Connections unit – Up, Down and All Around
Students have the opportunity to explore first-hand different ways that the environment has been changed by both humans and natural processes up at the North Head Sanctuary. Students walk through different environments, including virtually untouched bush land and a hanging swamp where they have the opportunity to observe how people have interacted with the land throughout time. Students participate in games and activities to make the information come alive! They use curiosity and knowledge learned during the excursion to complete tasks and become more informed about how the environment changes and how different people interact and connect with the land as well as care for the unique North Head Sanctuary.
- Learn about the endangered population of Long-nosed bandicoots that call North Head home.
- Discover how changes in the environment has impacted on the bandicoots by using direct observation and photos
- Students plan, design and build their own bandicoot shelter/nest
- Discover and identify features and changes in the environment due to human intervention, specifically the impact the military has had on the area
- Observe the unique natural changes that occur in the landscape at the Hanging Swamp
- Participate in an exploration activity searching for ‘change’. Work in groups to determine both what has changed and how it has changed
- Observe how people care for the North Head Sanctuary and what they have done to help protect the area
- Learn about the Aboriginal concept of seasons compared to European seasons
- Participate in a scavenger hunt to find plants and animals that are used to determine different seasons in the Aboriginal annual calendar
- Discuss how to care for places in the environment through sustainable use practices
Don’t see exactly what you’re looking for? Please let us know and we we will do our best to tailor a program to accommodate your needs.
Tour Length: 3.5 hours
Cost: $16 per student (minimum of 24 students or $375 per group) – includes all equipment and materials supplied by EcoXplore
We can take up to three groups at one time, for a total of 90 students/day. *Please note there is a maximum of 30 students per environmental educator/guide – this is to ensure quality and to maximise meaningful interaction and participation of the students.
Location: North Head Sanctuary, Manly – click here for map
Bookings or Enquiries: 042 041 7745 or: firstname.lastname@example.org